Pulled Pork Sandwiches
A BBQ classic with a twist! This Pulled Pork Sandwich features our Espresso Brava Wood River Creamery cheese.
- 3 1/2 lb pork shoulder butt roast
- 3 tbsp mild chili powder, divided
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 4 tsp ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp each ground coriander and oregano
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 jar (24 oz) tomato passata
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp prepared mustard
- 6 rolls
- 6 oz Wood River Creamery Espresso Brava Cheese, sliced
- 1 bag (14 oz) cabbage slaw
- 1/3 cup prepared coleslaw dressing
Pat pork roast dry with paper towel. Mix together 1 tbsp chili powder, paprika, 1 tsp cumin, coriander, oregano, salt and pepper; rub all over pork. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat oil in large Dutch oven set over medium-high heat; sear pork on all sides for 5 to 7 minutes or until browned. Transfer pork to plate; set aside.
Reduce heat to medium; cook onions, garlic and remaining chili powder and cumin for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir together passata, sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard; add to onion mixture and bring to boil.
Return pork to Dutch oven; cover and transfer to oven. Bake for 3 1/2 to 4 hours or until pork is very tender. Transfer to bowl and shred using two forks. Return to pan and stir until well coated with sauce.
Place 1/2 cup pulled pork on each roll; top with 2 slices cheese.
Toss cabbage slaw with dressing. Top each sandwich with about 1/3 cup coleslaw. Serve remaining coleslaw on the side.
Tip: Remaining pulled pork can be transferred to airtight container and refrigerated for up to 4 days or frozen for up to 3 weeks. You can use it for a quick weeknight dinner, such as tacos, pizza or nachos.