Quinoa and Kale Stuffed Acorn Squash
When looking for an exciting, healthy and easy way to turn squash into dinner, try this stuffed acorn squash with quinoa and kale.
- 2 acorn squash (each 2 1/2 to 3 lb), halved and seeded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp each salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp each ground allspice and cinnamon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 6 cups stemmed shredded kale
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups shredded Part-Skim Mozzarella Shredded Cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 425°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush cut sides of squash with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with half each salt and pepper, allspice and cinnamon. Place on prepared baking sheet; bake, cut sides down, for 40 to 45 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic and sage, stirring, for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add kale; cook for 1 minute or until slightly wilted. Stir in vinegar, maple syrup and mustard; stir in quinoa, walnuts and cranberries. Remove from heat; toss with 1 cup cheese and remaining salt and pepper.
Divide quinoa mixture evenly among squash halves; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until filling is heated through and cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley.
Tip: For meatier stuffed squash, add 1 cooked and crumbled Italian sausage to the stuffing or 1/3 cup cooked chopped pancetta.
Tip: For make-ahead, cook the squash and make the filling a day ahead of serving. When baking, allowing extra time for the filling to heat through.