Sausage, Brussel Sprout and Truffle Pizza
Light, fresh and inspiring! Our Wood River Creamery Black Truffle Cheese compliments the flavor in this artisan pizza with a sizzle of Italian sausage and fresh rosemary.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (approx.)
- 3/4 cup warm water (approx. 105°F to 115°F)
- 1 1/4 tsp instant active dry yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil (approx.)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 4 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Italian sausages, removed from casing
- 8 oz shredded Brussels sprouts
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Wood River Creamery™ Black Truffle cheese
- 1 tbsp truffle oil
In a bowl, stir together 1/4 cup flour, warm water, yeast and sugar; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until mixture starts to look bubbly and frothy. Using wooden spoon, stir in olive oil, remaining flour and salt to make loose dough. Transfer to lightly floured surface; knead for 10 to 15 minutes, adding flour as needed, to make soft, elastic, and slightly sticky dough.
Form dough into ball; transfer to lightly greased bowl. Brush top of dough lightly with oil; cover with wet kitchen towel. Let stand in warm spot for about 2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down dough; transfer to airtight container or resealable plastic bag. Refrigerate overnight; let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 500˚F. Stir together 2 tbsp of the oil, rosemary and garlic; set aside.
Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil in large skillet set over medium heat; cook sausage for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Transfer to plate and let cool completely.
Add remaining oil to skillet; cook Brussels sprouts, shallots, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until golden and tender; let cool completely.
On lightly floured surface, roll out dough into 8-inch round. Using hands, stretch dough into 12-inch round, about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer to lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan.
Brush pizza dough with rosemary mixture. Scatter Brussels sprouts mixture and cooked sausage over top; sprinkle with cheese.
Bake until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbling,15 to 20 minutes; drizzle with truffle oil.
• Substitute 1 lb store-bought pizza dough for homemade dough.
• Substitute thyme for rosemary, if desired.